Any Gazelle's made that didn't have a gazelle??

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 00:02
von RadoFan | 52 Beiträge

Were any of the Gazelle range ever gazelle(less)? This is one of my watches eveything seems genuine about it apart from the fact theres no Gazelle!

nach oben springen

RE: Any Gazelle's made that didn't have a gazelle??

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 05:12
von Henry Krinkle | 60 Beiträge

I do not know of any Gazelles without gazelle's. The watch looks nice and clean though. If you like it, enjpy it. Do tyou have the caseback or bracelet? The bracelet might be a tough one to track down if you don't. It is an integrated bracelet and I believe it was made by SK.

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 08:42

Yep I have the caseback! No braclet though. I'm planning to fashion my own, wish me luck ! :)

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 20:18
von mike184 | 149 Beiträge

Hi!

Back and case(on the sides) still wear the blue protective lacquer, so this Rado was recently made with NOS-parts. That´s why it looks like new - it is.
In Fareast, there are still some quantities of NOS parts - cases, dials, hands, movements. From time to time, you find those parts in the bay, or watches made of them.
As Henry, I never have seen an authentic Gazelle-model without a Gazelle-emblem. So the dial is probably new finished or just printed. When I´m back home, I´ll have a look in my database for the reference 625.7913.4. The first three digits, 625, are correct for an ETA 2789 automatic movement with d/d.
Nevertheless, it looks brilliant! I also own one of these NOS-parts-Rados, a Purple Gazelle:

Good luck with your bracelet! In Phillipines, there are some manufacturers of customised bracelets, so if you can´t find a matching one, maybe that´s an option.

Mit freundlichem Gruß/With best regards
Mike
nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 21:50

Thanx Mike as usual you knowlege of all things "Rado" never ceases to amaze me! :) I have had a go at customising a bracelet to fit. I cut down the ends on a 20mm bracelet but then the ends just kept falling back onto the bracelet. So I turned the ends the wrong way round which seems to have solved the problem but does not quite look as elegant as I woulds like!

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 21:55

Love your purple gazelle Mike. I have one a bought from a jeweller in Beverley Hills. I think it has quite a bit of restoration work done on it and they've done a slightly better job on the bracelet than I could manage! :)

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 22:18

Hi!

Doesn´t look bad with that Jubilée-style bracelet! It´s a good idea to modify one of them for these special lugs. I would leave it as it is - or have a look for a cheap parts watch to get one of the original bracelets.
Your Purple Gazelle also looks brilliant. I can´t see any traces of restauration - the edges of the case seem to be as crisp as the ones of the NOS-case.
And they didn´t do a better job than you with the bracelet - they simply mounted one of the original ones - being made for these lugs.

Mike
nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 22:27

Thanx Mike. Good to hear the purple gazelle hasn't been overly restored. I hadn't seen one which was all gold before. This is what made me think it had had restoration work!

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 07.08.2012 23:41

Most Rados were available in SS and GP, but SS watches were almost made in larger quantities. And the GP ones can´t be polished as the SS ones if worn - the plating would disappear. And replating is expensive. That´s why they are rare to find in good condition.

Mike
nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: John Martin
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 101 Themen und 387 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online: