SS Marco Polo

in Everything Vintage RADO 17.07.2012 23:01
von Henry Krinkle | 60 Beiträge

Here's the date only Marco Polo, ref 11836:

The bracelet and case were filthy , the crystal has no deep scratches but is very scuffed all over and the dial is full of black marks.

Pretty clean movement.

The black marks are specks of something and blew right off with a little gentle air.

The bracelet was completely disassembled and run through the ultrasonic cleaner.
The case back and sides got the lightest of polishes but the brushed front was only cleaned.

Here's my Day/date GP.

nach oben springen

RE: SS Marco Polo

in Everything Vintage RADO 17.07.2012 23:02

And of course the crystal was polished.

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 18.07.2012 12:58
von mike184 | 149 Beiträge

WOW, very nice, Henry!

Looks pretty nice after cleaning. I think most of the black dirt came from the hands. The ETA 2472 really looks very clean and nice. I have them in my New Green Horses.
I definitely like the Marco Polos, both of yours look great.

Mit freundlichem Gruß/With best regards
Mike
nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 18.07.2012 15:48
von kein Name angegeben • ( Gast )

Thanks Mike! I have read Rado won't acknowledge that the Marco Polo is a Rado but I don't know why. In my opinion it is a classic Rado. It's stylish and comfortable. The cushion case and pillar markers are lovely and the big crown is the perfect size.

There have been a flurry of Marco Polos on the bay right now, but except for mine they have all gone for $250 and up. Most of them have been fiddled with and do not have NSAs. My two Marco Polos together didn't cost close to those prices and I believe both to be 100% original.

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 19.07.2012 10:01
von pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. | 10 Beiträge

hello henry,
thanks for your invite mail....im glad to have a new home for providing new infos, pics and regular conversation.
thats a nice marco polo, not my cup of tea (had a SS daydate, too...for 2 weeks or so, sold it directly), but the ETA 2472 movement looks incredible !!!!
greetings,

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 19.07.2012 21:24

Hi Henry!

Where have you read that Rado doesn´t acknowledge the Marco Polo model? Never heard or read about that. Unbelievable - what else should it be?

Mike
nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 19.07.2012 23:44

Hi Pimp,

Ithink if everyone liked the same things collecting anything would be boring. I admire how focussed your collecting is. You concentrate on the funkiest funk scratchproof watches out there. More than a third of my collection are TC cased but I really like some of the 60's vintage Rados. Jetliners, Narco Polos and some Starliners appeal to me too much to give up on that decade. Variety of taste is part of what makes collecting so much fun though, isn't it?

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 19.07.2012 23:47

Mike,

That was from Brad. I believe he once told me that when he was writing his Rado history articles Rado informed him that they had no evidence that they made the Marco Polo and they asked him to remove any reference of them.

It is ridiculous- one look at a Marco Polo and it is plainly evident that Rado alone could have made it.

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 19.07.2012 23:59

OK, it´s that old thing. It doesn´t mean that Rado doesn´t acknowledge the Marco Polo as a genuine model - it just says that they have no info or records about it. The knowledge there about their own history and the watch models they produced is astonishing small.
Meanwhile they know a bit more - that´s why my HP has such a lot of visits from Switzerland.

Mike
zuletzt bearbeitet 20.07.2012 00:00 | nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 20.07.2012 00:08

There is no doubt that people like you and Sucram, and the Rado forum in general, have provided Rado with a lot of information that they didn't have , or couldn't be bothered to find.

Speaking of your homepage, I've been thinking that someone needs to make a page like yours but with only Diastars. In otherwords images of all the variants in order. That would be quite a reference work too.

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 20.07.2012 08:51
von pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. | 10 Beiträge

it is, henry ! it is...

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 20.07.2012 08:54
von earloffarnborough | 2 Beiträge

Hi Henry,
if you keep on restoring Rados in this incredible way, I am sure many of us will start sending you their watches for cleaning and restoring.
Really amazing work!
Mike: thanks for hosting us EoT-members on your website. Hopefully you can cope with a larger number of threads.
Best regards to all EoT guys and girls
Peter

nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 20.07.2012 14:21

Hi!

@Peter - thanx and welcome!
@Henry - a summary of the DiaStar-knowledge as extra part of my HP is a project for next winter. I will need a lot of pics from all of you.

Mike
nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 20.07.2012 16:55

Hello Peter,

Thank you. I really enjoy trying to bring a watch back to some of it's former glory without changing the way it originally was. I try to find the right balance between making something nicer and going to far. I don't like a watch that loses all it's character by being over polished. I would much rather it retained some signs of it's age and use.

Mike, I will certainly be willing to do my part. While it is only a fraction of the number of Diastar models made, my DS collection seems to be ever expanding. I have or have had at least the following-"0", 1/E, 2, 3, 8, 8/1 Tigereye, 10, 11, 14, 18 Magic, 19Magic, one with only a ref number, 40 and 40 Years.

zuletzt bearbeitet 20.07.2012 16:59 | nach oben springen

in Everything Vintage RADO 20.07.2012 22:47

I can't believe I left Brad's name out of the list of people who have contributed to Rado's knowledge of themselves. My bad.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: John Martin
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 101 Themen und 387 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online: